In an effort to be more philanthropic and increase community involvement Family First Counseling is offering a limited number of Pro Bono (free) counseling services to the community.
About Our Pro Bono Services
Pro Bono counseling is free service available to adults who are unemployed, uninsured, under insured, or unable to afford traditional counseling services. This may include individuals and couples that are struggling with situations such as unemployment, life changes, depression, anxiety, grief or marital issues. We will provide short term counseling (6 sessions or less) at no cost to the recipient. Your sessions will be provided by Master’s Level students, Licensed Professional Counselor Interns, or Marriage and Family Therapy Associates supervised by Megan R. Pickens, LPC-S. (Megan R. Pickens, LPC-S provides a limited number of Pro Bono services as well, but availability is limited.)
Pro Bono Services Eligibility Criteria*
* Adults 18 or Older
* Unable to afford traditional counseling services
* Commitment to Prompt Attendance
* Openness to audio/videotaping due to the likelihood of sessions being completed by students
* Commitment to fully participate in therapeutic interventions and homework
Due to the availability and training levels of our counselors providing Pro Bono services at Family First Counseling, there are some clients who may be not appropriate for our Pro Bono services.
Individuals and couples not eligible for Pro Bono counseling services at Family First Counseling would be:
* Under the age of 18 (even emancipated minors)
* Court or legal involvement and issues (probation, parole, deferred adjudication)
* Child protective services involvement
* Couples in or moving towards divorce proceedings
* Child custody cases
* Court ordered services
* Struggling with drugs and alcohol as primary issue
* Suffering from chronic mental illness
* Any issue outside of the therapeutic competency of our counseling staff
All Pro Bono clients are pre-screened for appropriateness. If at any point an individual or couple is determined to need more intensive services than our counselors can offer, they will be referred out to be linked to the appropriate services.
*Your sessions begin when you schedule your first counseling session. If you cancel or do not show up for your first appointment, your voucher is no longer redeemable and you are no longer eligible for pro bono services. If at any point you fail to cancel within the 24 hour cancellation time period, show up late or are a “no-show” for your appointment your voucher will be cancelled. You can continue counseling sessions with Family First Counseling, but you have to pay the fee appropriate for your type of counseling. Fees will vary based upon qualifications of the counselor and style of counseling (individual, couple, or family counseling). Options for pro bono are (1) 6 consecutive weeks (2) 6 Bi-weekly appointments not to exceed 3 months. Only 1 voucher can be redeemed per person/couple with Family First Counseling.